The New Jim Crow
1. Ferguson, Missouri has a population of approximately 21,000 people — roughly 67% of those residents are Black
2. The Ferguson police department has around 53 commisioned officers —3 of them are Black
3. Ferguson had *zero* homicides for all of 2014 —until Michael Brown was murdered by Darrin Wilson
4. Things you should know: Five Myths About Black-on-Black Crime
5. Michael Brown was 18yrs old and was about to begin college. Brown had no criminal record, and despite the Ferguson PD’s smear campaign, Mike Brown PAID FOR the cigars —those facts are all important and should be known, but even if Brown was a high school dropout with prior arrests who stole the cigars, 1) it wouldn’t have made his life any less valuable, 2) we have a court system and those are not capital offenses and 3) it doesn’t change the fact that the cop who killed him, Darren Wilson, had no idea about Brown’s personal history when he executed Brown. Wilson saw only a Black teen deemed either “too uppity” or “suspicious” because of his skin color
6. Five examples: The Militarization of the police
7. It’s deeply Institutional: Police view Black Children As Less Innocent
8. This is Not the first time Ferguson’s police have been heavy handed with it’s Black residents - Innocent Black man beaten by cops, then charged with bleeding on police officer’s uniforms
9. So please - don’t get it twisted
-It is not cute
-It is hell
-Want to order pizza? Too fucking bad
-Want to go to a party? Be prepared to want to leave after 5 seconds
-Need to ask a salesperson for a different size? Guess you’re not getting it
-Hungry but it’s crowded in the restaurant? No food for you
-Social anxiety SUCKS
-It keeps you from doing things you want to do
-It makes you feel like shit
-Stop romanticizing it
-Social anxiety is absolute HELL
Ferguson police: We can’t release the autopsy report because that might bias future juries.
Ferguson police: *releases footage of Brown stealing from a store and having a physical confrontation with an employee*
Ferguson police: This event has absolutely nothing to do with why Brown was killed. It’s not important at all. It obviously isn’t meant as bias either.
IMPORTANT FERGUSON UPDATE - WATCH THIS VIDEO BEFORE YOUTUBE TAKES IT DOWN
CNN REPORTER Fredricka Whitfield interviews the Store Owner’s Lawyer (from the store that was “”“”“”“robbed”“”“”“”“”“”” by “”“”“”“”“”mike brown”“”“”“”“”“)
As the lawyer begins to explain what really happened, cnn “”“”“loses the feed”“”“”“
So this is what trust looks like.
Funny, my first thought was “So this is what the patriarchy looks like.”
Yup. This is how women are supposed to trust men. With their lives.
Woman : “Hey, can we just… Drop the bow?”
Man : “WHY DON’T YOU TRUST ME I’M NOT A VIOLENT GUY, YOU ARE INSULTING ME THINKING I WILL HURT YOU!!!”
Woman : “No it’s just… Well I’m afraid.”
Man : “But why? Look at me, I’m not afraid. And we’re equal, look, we pull the bow together.”
Woman : “I think we’re not equal, you can kill me with the arrow and I can’t.”
Man : “What? So you would like to be able to kill me? You’re so agressive!”
Woman : “That’s not what I mean, we were talking about equality : you can hurt me, I can’t.”
Man : “Of course you can. You can hit me with the bow if you want.”
Woman : “That’s not the same thing, it will never kill you.”
Man : “Oh, you always complaining, stop victimising yourself! Do I talk about the difficulty of holding the arrow? Of the responsibility it giving to me?”
Every debates about gender equality, ladies and gentleman.
omg the comments. Brilliant.
Seriously, what the police are doing is not “bad”, it’s illegal.
There is a reason why people are raging mad at this situation, and it’s because it’s a blatant violation of basic human rights.
If you don’t understand that, then you are part of the problem.
my white protesters please remember that you’re rarely at the same risk we are when you stand up for what is right
I’m not gonna stop reblogging these reminders
As hard as it is for white people to take a stand, realize we have it so much easier than others.
"but we’re not dead yet" is a pretty good response to basically all situations, up until it ceases to be true and even then i think there are stil some situations where it’s usage would be appropriate
i have 3 moods for characters:
- the ruler of my heart please step on me
- precious child must be protected at all costs
- complete trash yet ironically my favorite character
it actually is illegal. officers are required to wear their name tags for accountability purposes.
if a cashier can be penalized for being on the clock without a name tag, so can an officer. the biggest fucked up part about it is that you can’t even report it to their superiors because their superiors probably told them to remove their tags.